Sunday, March 10, 2013

Window Shopping in Madrid


After a long day staring at books and my computer screen at the SLU Madrid campus library, I got home yesterday and decided to just take a walk, as long as there was a little bit of daylight left. It was a good choice because all that reading was giving me a headache and a walk was the perfect cure. Plus I love walking around Madrid, even if it's just up and down the few streets right near my home stay. Nowhere wildly special, but there's still so much to see! And because this city never sleeps, even in the evening there's lots of people out and about. 

I'm addicted to iphone panoramas - here's one on my walk home from school.

I absolutely love window shopping in Madrid. I think that's why it's so nice just to take a walk - dar un paseo - around this lively, pretty city. Tons of tiny charming shops. 

As I've mentioned on facebook, there's lots of flower shops. There's so many that I kind of wonder how they stay in business. Who is buying all these flowers? I don't really know, but I love seeing them around.


Also, lots of fruit stands too, which I should stop at more often. I've been eating tons of oranges here in Spain. They're huge and very juicy. I didn't even really like oranges before I got here. 


It's also typical to see little shops labeled "heladeria" (ice cream shop) or "pasteleria" (bakery) or often both. Lots of little shops for sweets. It's funny to me because Spanish desserts in restaurants and such are not very sweet at all. Refreshing, but not rich. And here are all these little bakeries full of sweet rich things. What gives? Maybe that's the plan to keep all these tiny bakeries in business.

Pretty Spanish treats

God I love gelato.

I love these Palmera cookies (the heart shaped ones), and this that marbled one was calling my name, but they're like the size of my head, so I think they really too much for one person. I'll get one with a friend sometime.

But besides these common, charming little tiendas, there are plenty of cute clothing boutiques, TONS of zapaterias (shoe stores). These stores are really fun to window shop as you walk by. I really gotta buy a pair of shoes here before I leave. My host family said that Spain makes the best shoes. I think the Manolo would agree. ;-) In culture, interests, fashion, and coffee, Spain reminds me very much of what I know about Italy. 

But then there are unique stores that are really neat. Like, the other day I came across one known as "el Rastrillo" - The Little Rastro. It was a second hand or antique shop just jam packed with interesting odds and ends. Definitely entertaining to walk by. 

My favorite find though was this Ceramics shop!!! It was closed, so I'll have to stop by someday when it's open. I do NOT need any more pottery - my apartment is already PACKED. But I'd love to see the lovely wares, and maybe gather some ideas for some of my own pottery projects.

Family owned store - says they make everything they sell. I love all the painted tiles especially.

These blonde and brunette potters reminded me of me and Salicia! Miss her! Can't wait to get back to making beautiful things at pottery class together!

Just a sampling of the charming and practical pieces for the Spanish home.

But the best part of the walk was just how pretty the sky looked over the streets at dusk. 

Plus I got to see this gorgeous church again. There are so many pretty churches in Spain.


I was tempted by another pretty scarf, but didn't actually buy anything last night. However, I've found that window shopping on an evening walk is the perfect remedy to a long Saturday in the library!
  



1 comment: